WTVD worked with Scientific Analytical Institute in Greensboro, North Carolina, and Sean Fitzgerald, the institute’s director of research and analytical services, said that there were tremolite asbestos fibers found in the makeup.
“Fibers like this get into your breathing zone, and when you inhale, these fibers can get into the lung and go to the very bottom of the lung and that is exactly where you have the greatest likelihood of asbestos to cause disease,” Fitzgerald said. “Children should not be allowed to breathe it. If a 10-year-old inhaled this fiber today, when he's 50 years old, it's still there.”
According to Fitzgerald, the talc in the makeup was contaminated with asbestos.
Talc is a mineral that is a common ingredient in makeup. Fitzgerald said it “forms in the earth with other minerals and some of those minerals are asbestos.”
“Justice is committed to the safety and integrity of our products. Upon receiving the inquiry from WTVD, we immediately began an independent investigation. We cannot speculate regarding the matter until we have more information. Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, we have stopped the sale of this product while we investigate.”